In an era characterized by rapid technological advancements and uninterrupted global connectivity, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) has emerged as a pivotal innovation, revolutionizing how we communicate. At the heart of this transformative communication technology lies a critical component known as the VoIP router.
Over the course of 2010 to 2018, US businesses adopted over 35 million VoIP lines, culminating in 41.6 million lines, according to Statista.
Traditional telephone systems have long been the cornerstone of communication, relying on circuit-switched networks to transmit voice signals. However, the advent of the internet brought forth a new age of communication that leverages the power of data networks to transmit voice packets digitally.
VoIP technology, commonly known as Internet telephony, allows users to initiate voice calls through the Internet, circumventing conventional telephone lines and their associated expenses. This article will feature the best VoIP routers available, explore the different types available, and discover the ones you should consider for your business in 2023.
Why Choose a VoIP Router?
Modern organizations that care about their voice communication must give careful consideration to which VoIP routers to buy. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) has redefined how organizations connect with clients and team members, making the choice of a VoIP router all the more significant.
VoIP technology uses data networks to transmit voice communication, providing superior voice quality compared to traditional telephony methods. It also significantly reduces the associated costs, particularly in long-distance and international calls.
Key Features to Consider
When searching for the best VoIP routers for your organization, there are several key features to weigh. Quality of Service (QoS) should be a top priority, as it ensures that voice traffic is prioritized over other data, minimizing latency and allowing uninterrupted voice calls.
Voice quality relies heavily on codecs, which are the technologies used to compress and decompress audio data. VoIP routers that support various codecs, such as G.711 (high quality, high bandwidth) and G.729 (lower bandwidth, acceptable quality), provide the best performance and flexibility.
To keep your voice traffic secure, your router should include advanced functions like firewalls, intrusion detection, and VPN access. To prevent voice conversations from being negatively impacted by other data-intensive activities on the network, appropriate bandwidth management and traffic prioritization are required.
Also, verify the router’s compatibility with your chosen VoIP service provider to simplify deployment and improve connectivity.
The Top 10 VoIP Routers in 2023
The landscape of voice communication has been revolutionized, and the quest for the best VoIP routers continues as we dive into 2023. Each of the routers in our list presents unique features that cater to the evolving demands of modern business communication. This section will explore their capabilities and features to find the perfect match for your network infrastructure.
Cisco ISR 4000 Series
The Cisco ISR 4000 Series combines the power of digital data transmission with unmatched business communication solutions. These routers provide a wide range of tools for streamlining your network and preserving crystal-clear audio transmission. Key features include –
- Modularity: The ISR 4000 Series routers are modular, allowing for the addition of various interface modules to meet specific network requirements, such as WAN, LAN, and security.
- SIP Integration: Uses industry-standard Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for effortless communication with a wide variety of devices.
- Software-Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Capabilities: This technology can be integrated into the ISR 4000 Series, providing advanced control and optimization of WAN connections.
Grandstream UCM Series
Grandstream UCM Series routers are customized to the specific needs of organizations, promising reliable digital data transmission. Here are the main features and benefits –
- Auto Attendant: Auto-attendant features for call routing, allowing you to create custom voice menus to guide callers to the right department or extension.
- High-Quality Voice: Advanced QoS capabilities maintain voice quality, even during high-traffic scenarios.
- Conference Bridging: You can set up conference calls with multiple participants, often with a dedicated conference bridge feature.
Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine
The Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine is a force to be reckoned with in the VoIP router arena, offering impeccable network performance. Key advantages and characteristics are listed below.
- Prioritized Voice Traffic: Advanced QoS ensures that voice traffic takes precedence, resulting in uninterrupted communication.
- Codec Support: The ability to support a wide range of codecs adds versatility to voice communication.
- Built-in UniFi Controller: The UDM includes a UniFi Controller, which allows you to manage UniFi access points, switches, and other devices from a single dashboard.
Netgear Nighthawk AX12
When it comes to network performance and business communication solutions, the Netgear Nighthawk AX12 shines as a high-performance VoIP router. The primary advantages and characteristics are as follows –
- Powerful Processor: It comes with a high-performance quad-core processor, which ensures smooth and efficient data handling.
- Dynamic QoS: This feature optimizes VoIP traffic in real-time, maintaining consistent call quality even in busy networks.
- Versatility: Compatibility with various VoIP devices and a powerful 10G LAN port adds versatility to digital data transmission.
Linksys EA9500 stands as a formidable option in the field of VoIP routers. With its tri-band technology, advanced router configuration, and 5G integration, it offers an excellent blend of speed, quality, and future-ready connectivity. Below are its key features and benefits –
- MU-MIMO Technology: This feature ensures that multiple devices can access the network simultaneously without compromising speed, making it ideal for businesses with multiple team members reliant on high-quality VoIP calls.
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi: It can be managed and configured through the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app or web interface, offering remote access and real-time network monitoring.
- 5G Integration: Accepting the prospects for the future, this router features 5G connectivity for ultra-fast speeds, making it perfect for HD phone calls.
Asus RT-AX88U takes wireless connectivity to the next level with its dual-band technology and robust router configuration. Here are the main benefits and qualities –
- Wi-Fi 6 Technology: This router embraces the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology, ensuring blazing-fast speeds and ultra-low latency, ideal for voice communication.
- WAN Aggregation: It supports WAN aggregation, which means you can combine two Gigabit Ethernet ports to create a 2Gbps internet connection.
- Traffic Analyzer: Keep track of your network usage with a built-in traffic analyzer, helping you monitor data usage and bandwidth distribution.
The TP-Link Archer C4000
The TP-Link Archer C4000 stands as a reliable option among the best VoIP routers, combining dual-band Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO technology for smooth VoIP integration and data transmission. Its primary characteristics include –
- Tri-Band Wi-Fi: This operates on three separate Wi-Fi bands: one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz bands. This helps distribute network traffic more efficiently and reduces congestion for better overall performance.
- RangeBoost Technology: TP-Link’s RangeBoost technology provides excellent Wi-Fi coverage for your home phone system by amplifying the signal strength.
- Easy Setup: TP-Link routers often come with user-friendly setup wizards and mobile VoIP apps for easy installation and management.
The D-Link DIR-882 delivers on its promise of superior voice quality and connectivity with your VoIP service provider.
Its reliability makes it one of the best VoIP routers for small businesses and remote workers who depend on VoIP calls for daily communication with clients and team members. Some of its main features are –
- High-Speed Wireless: It provides high-speed wireless connectivity with support for Wireless AC technology, offering faster data transfer speeds compared to older standards.
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: With four Gigabit Ethernet ports, it guarantees solid connectivity for both voice and data.
- IPv6 Support: It supports the newer IPv6 internet protocol, ensuring future compatibility as IPv4 addresses become scarce.
This is the MikroTik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+. has proven itself to be a leading VoIP router in the year 2023. The extensive set of features and functionalities it provides makes for a top-notch VoIP experience. Here’s what makes it a top choice –
- Performance: The CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ is equipped with a powerful 1.2GHz Tilera Tile-Gx9 CPU and 2GB of RAM, making it suitable for demanding networking tasks.
- Combo Port (SFP or Gigabit Ethernet): Flexibility is enhanced with a Combo port that accommodates either SFP or Gigabit Ethernet connections.
- SFP+ Port: With an additional SFP+ port, the router ensures compatibility with high-speed fiber networks.
Avaya IX R10
The Avaya IX R10 has advanced the state of the art in voice communication by including cutting-edge options for today’s businesses. Here’s what sets it apart as a leading VoIP router in 2023 –
- Cloud Integration: Avaya IX R10 offers improved cloud integration, making it easier for organizations to migrate to the cloud or implement hybrid cloud solutions.
- Team Collaboration: It offers team collaboration tools for real-time messaging and file sharing, enabling teams to work together efficiently.
How to Choose the Right VoIP Router
Begin by assessing your specific requirements, such as the number of users, the volume of voice calls, and the need for advanced features. Look for routers with features like Quality of Service (QoS) for call quality optimization, powerful security measures to protect your communication, and compatibility with your VoIP service provider.
Make sure the router supports the codecs necessary for your telecommunication needs and offers bandwidth management options to allocate resources to promote your business’s telecommunications advancements.
Setting Up Your VoIP Router
Although configuring a VoIP router may appear complicated, it is actually rather easy. Begin by connecting your router to the modem and power source. Access the router’s web-based configuration interface using a web browser.
Configure the router’s settings, making sure it prioritizes VoIP traffic through Quality of Service (QoS) options. Set up user accounts, assign static IP addresses to VoIP devices, and input your VoIP service provider’s details. Test the system for call quality optimization and ensure all devices are functioning correctly.
Troubleshooting Common VoIP Router Issues
While VoIP routers can streamline communication, they may encounter occasional issues. Common problems include call quality degradation, dropped calls, or intermittent service interruptions.
Troubleshooting such issues requires regular maintenance checks, including –
- Checking router settings
- Ensuring the router’s firmware is up to date
- Verifying your internet connection’s stability
- Investigate QoS settings, including any firewalls or security measures
- And thoroughly examining hardware connections and device configurations.
The Future of VoIP Technology
The future of VoIP technology promises improved call quality optimization, with technologies like Wideband Audio (HD Voice) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) improving voice communication.
Protecting the confidentiality and integrity of VoIP communications against emerging and evolving threats is the responsibility of VoIP security measures. Cloud-based solutions are set to become more prevalent, simplifying VoIP setups and offering flexibility for businesses.
As VoIP technology continues to shape the communication landscape, staying informed about these advancements will keep your business’s communication infrastructure up to date.
As we’ve explored the top 10 VoIP routers to consider in 2023, it’s clear that the world of voice communication technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of businesses and individuals.
The best VoIP routers offer a spectrum of capabilities, from advanced Quality of Service (QoS) features and codec support to robust security measures and intuitive management interfaces.
To explore the best VoIP routers and stay ahead of the technological curve, VoIPElements in Melbourne, VIC, provides expert solutions and guidance. Trust VoIPElements to equip your business with the best VoIP routers, contributing to a future of enhanced connectivity and collaboration.
Q. Are VoIP calls as reliable as traditional landline calls?
- VoIP calls are generally reliable and offer high call quality. However, their reliability may depend on your internet connection. A stable and high-speed internet connection ensures reliable VoIP calls, often comparable to traditional landline calls.
Q. Can I use my existing router for VoIP?
- Yes, you can use your existing router for VoIP in most cases. Many VoIP service providers offer compatibility with various routers.